Anyone ever worked on refurbing a little camper with two children under 3?  Well if you don’t know, it’s not easy.  This past week, we tried to work on the camper a lot.  Among the many things we did we did the following:

  • cleared out all the cushions and curtains
  • investigated all the storage areas
  • moved the camper to a better place to work on it
  • pulled out the floating wood floor and foam board
  • cleaned and caulked the seal problems around the windows
  • removed and affixed a semi-seal around the door frame
  • investigated where we could get replacement parts online
  • liquid nailsed (is that a word?) one of the roof seams

In most cases, Eli was content to play around outside.  Emilia was not so easy to entertain. I wore her some of the time, and then put here in the pack and play at others.  In most cases it was so intolerably hot and humid, we could only spend 15 to 20 minutes working on the camper.

The camper itself is in need of more repair that we first suspected when we got it.  This is a pretty discouraging fact, given we didn’t anticipate having to put as much work and time into it.  We did expect to have to do some work, but it seems it turning out to be a bit more than we’d have liked.  In some cases we may have decided not to even dive into this project had we known some of the things we might need to tackle.

I’m pretty sure there’s a goodly amount of work that needs to be done in our own lives… and I’m sure anyone can see where this metaphor is headed. In some ways, I’m not sure that I’d dive into the project of redeeming my life, given what I’ve discovered along the way, and yet God – all-knowing God, choses us anyways, and makes certain to pay full price for us – not a discount rate or a ‘Craig’s List’ mark down, and begins the work to change us into the image of his son.  

And yet all the while, much like our work on the camper, it takes time, and we (like the camper) are seemingly unwilling to change.  I was trying to remove the stove hood, which is held to the fiberglass shell by 4 little nuts and bolts.  Should be pretty simple to remove right?  Nope.  As of this writing, they’re still there, and I’m pretty sure I”m going to have to experiment with the best or multiple methods for addressing the removal of the range hood.  In someways, I can see how God intends to use the least intrusive method possible to affect change in our lives – with the idea that we will conform all the more to the image of Christ.  Sometimes, multiple methods and repeated efforts are necessary.  The bolts are rusted fast and in some cases the threading on the bolts doesn’t exist anymore.

This is definitely going to be some work, and yet now at the beginning it’s hard to see how much difference it can make in the long term.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s